30 January 2010

I was out, now I'm back in

If Lord Goldsmith can change his mind about the legality of going to war in Iraq, I think it's OK for me to change my mind about Twitter.

Some months ago I left Twitter because my account had been hacked and some slimeballs were sending their own scam tweets in my name. I had just left Facebook because I didn't like the extreme openness of umpteen levels of "friends" knowing about me. Not from paranoia but just because I didn't like the lack of control over who sees what. Having my Twitter account hacked meant I was primed to make the instant decision - I'm out!

Despite finding that Twitter can be time-consuming, I did miss the chat, and I did miss the obvious promotional opportunities that arise, such announcing new properties on JustSuffolk.com.

So, when a client asked how she could use the internet more to promote her website and interests, we discussed forums, blogs, Facebook, and Twitter.

Rather than try to explain how Twitter works, I decided to demo the service. I also wanted to demo the ability to track clicks from Twitter to websites - I use tr.im.
So I signed up with twitter again.
You can "follow" me through this link to twitter.