16 December 2008

Clipboard + ring-binder + mouse = memory error!

I was working on an update to a client's website when my computer started to show unusual signs of misbehaviour. When I opened a file to edit, it jiggled around on the screen. Is it a virus?  (doubtful with my multi-layer security), is it hardware fault? Mouse? Computer? There's never a good time but in the middle of a client website update, I don't need this!

At first, I thought it was my mouse because as I clicked to open a file for editing, it appeared on the screen then jiggled around - a lot! So I closed the application (Dreamweaver CS3) and opened it again. It all seemed normal, clicked on the file to open it, it appeard in the workspace, then started jiggling around. Hmmm... Looks like a problem mouse. Checked in other applications but there was no obvious problem. OK, maybe it's not the mouse, perhaps the computer. Do a restart (breaking my own Gold Rules - never restart, always shut down and start from cold). 

After the restart I went through the process again and the problem was still with me. OK, it looks like it is the mouse - my fairly old but much loved Microsoft Intellimouse. Swapped mice and the problem was still there. Oh good, it's not my favourite mouse. Oh dear, it's probably the computer.

Shut down fully. Start from cold. Oops, the computer flags a possible memory error by giving me the choice of starting in Windows Vista, or the Memory Diagnostics. I choose Vista. Go through the test again and the problem has gone. Phew, the memory has fixed itself. Really? Actually, no.

During the mouse swap, I had to close the drawer that my keyboard stands on. I had been working with a clipboard resting along the top of my keyboard, on top of which was lying an open ring-binder with the source for the website updates - quite weighty, and resting on the top row of F-keys. There must be some combination of F-key and mousing that triggers this odd jiggling thing. It's the type of combination of keys that usually only cats know about. 

Since I re-sited my clipboard and ring-binder, the problem has not returned. So I conclude that a strategically (but poorly) placed clipboard, in combination with a ring-binder and a mouse, can cause a memory error!